New Tabs Available in Microsoft Teams!
March 9th, 2017 was a big update day for Microsoft Teams. In addition to adding Bots, new Tab options have been added. This is a huge deal, because some third-party integrations are now available as Tabs, instead of only being available as a connector that posts to the Conversations area, which often creates a lot of noise and isn’t always user friendly. Let’s hope that some of the other connectors become available as Tabs soon.
Here is a rundown of each tab:
- Excel: Allows you to display an Excel sheet located in any Team as a tab.
- PowerPoint: Allows you to display a PowerPoint located in any Team as a tab.
- Planner: Creates a Planner Kanban board for the Team. Changes made to Planner in Teams will sync to the overall Planner service. Not all Planner features, such as assigning tasks to multiple people, are available.
- Word: Allows you to display a Word document located in any Team as a tab.
- OneNote: Allows you to display a OneNote page located in any Team as a tab.
- SharePoint: Connects to any SharePoint document library.
- YouTube: Allows you to embed any YouTube video into a tab.
- Wrike: A project management solution that offers both free and paid versions. Within the Tab both task list and timeline view are available.
- Hootsuite: Only works if you have a paid Hootsuite Team or Pro plan. Details of the integration can be found here.
- Smartsheet: A paid task management tool that allows you to organize tasks as a grid, Gantt chat, or Kanban board. Pricing details can be found here.
- PowerBI: Displays a PowerBI report in a Tab.
- PDF: Allows you to display a PDF document located in any Team as a tab.
- Stream: Displays a Microsoft Stream video or channel in the Tab.
- Website: Displays any website in a tab. This is also useful for displaying a SharePoint home page or list.
- Visual Studio: Adds a Visual Studio Team Services Kanban board to a tab.
- Polyscribe: This is definitely the most interesting Tab! Polyscribe is a collaborative note taking tool designed specifically for Microsoft Teams. It’s main advantage over OneNote is that the notes are preformatted with an area for an agenda, action items, and notes, and that it allows you to have a Tab conversation on the notes.
- Intercom: The tab only works with a paid subscription to the Resolve Insights product (helpdesk ticketing software) and does not work with any other Intercom products.
- Polly: Allows you to create simple choice polls in the Teams Conversation Tab. The Polly tab shows you the results of your polls and engagement statistics.
Zendesk: Zendesk is a popular customer service and support ticketing system. You can see various view of tickets, which are shown in the image below.
- Asana: A basic task tracking system that includes a calendar, chat, file storage, and progress view. The tab displays your task lists. The Tab shows a task list from a project.
- Zenefits: Zenefits is an all in one HR platform that can manage payroll, HR management, benefits, compliance, and time entry. The tab displays the list of employees so you can click into their details.
- Sapho: A micro application development and integration platform. It allows organizations to build secure micro apps, on top of existing enterprise systems. This looks very useful and I am going to learn more about Sapho. You can basically build an app and that connects to common enterprise services, and will send an update to Microsoft Teams when certain criteria is met, such as when a new CRM opportunity is assigned to you.
- Notes: A Microsoft app that provides a page where you can take general notes. You can have a Conversation on each section of notes, or on a page of notes, which could be useful.
That’s it (for now)! Stay tuned for more tab updates!